Tuesday, January 17, 2017

My mom is in her final hours...

My mom is spending her last hours surrounded by friends and family. Honestly, the last 48 hours couldn't have gone better. We spent the afternoon singing hymns, praying and reading her scripture. At some point this week she will be standing before Jesus and she will say "nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling" and she will hear "well done, my good and faithful servant."

Her life has touched so many people in so many different contexts. I sat yesterday with her reading your comments and prayers and she would say. "oh, I went to high school with her, or remember them from Saith Matthew, or they are from Fellowship of the Rockies, or FCC or FCA or Pleasant Valley or Clarkson. She remembered each and every one of you and so appreciated your wonderful notes on Facebook.

Know that each of you were in her thoughts.

Our family has been reading through the book Heaven each night for awhile and tonight we read this scripture which I would like to share:


But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. 21He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control.~Phillippians 3:20-21

As I spent the last day watching my mom's body shut down I have been comforted by the fact that her citizenship is in heaven, she has been an ambassador of Christ for several decades, but now she is being called home and she has no need for her cancer ridden body. But there will be a day when it will be resurrected and made even better than before and she will walk on the New Earth.

If things go as expected we will probably plan to have a service in honor of Sue on Sunday afternoon. Obviously this is not set in stone, but I wanted to let you know what we were thinking in case anyone needs to make travel plans.

Thank you all for your prayers. I know she has deeply appreciated them and we have felt them in these last hours as she has had no pain and very little discomfort. She is struggling to breathe and that would be the biggest prayer request now that she would be able to rest. She said yesterday that she is looking forward to her sabbath rest.

In Love and much appreciation,
John for the Hanson Family

No comments:

Post a Comment